For UCI Employees
As a public institution, please note that UCI must disclose public records unless a specific exemption from disclosure applies. Any records requests that you receive must be responded to in a timely manner. Any records that you hold (including emails) may be released in a records request.
What if my office receives a records request directly from a requester?
- Note the date you received the request.
- Immediately forward the request to the Public Records Office (PRO) with all attached materials.
What do I do if I receive a notification of a new request from the PRO?
- Review the Campus Notification.
- Search for documents.
- Communicate when documents will be ready, if any. Let us know if records may exist in other offices.
- Collect and Send the documents to us as soon as possible. Let us know if you do not have any documents.
- Please forward copies of ALL requested documents (except medical records), even if you think an exemption applies.
- Provide unmarked and unredacted copies of documents. Please do not send originals.
What if I have questions about records retention?
- Contact UC Irvine Records Management